Bachelor of Architecture
B.Arch, Bachelor of Architecture Course is the study of building and its form. One needs to have a creative mind and should be able to imagine things. Bachelor of Architecture deals with buildings or places that are well designed by a designer or an architect which would be most comfortable for any one to use. It is the application of different streams such as Humanities, Environment studies , Mathematics, Engineering and Aesthetics for studying the different aspects of architecture. It is a 5-years undergraduate program that can be started after Class 12 with a minimum of 50% marks. This course is designed to produce licensed and professional architects who are authorized to do private constructions and government constructions. The B.Arch syllabus consists of various theory subjects, studio, project work, practical training, and research training.
Eligibility to become Architect
For Diploma Courses:
- After clearing class 10 exams, candidates can apply for engineering diploma.
- 10+2 is the minimum requirement for other diploma courses.
- Candidates must have 50% aggregate marks in board exams and must have completed class 12 with Mathematics and English as compulsory subjects.
- Candidates who have completed 3-year diploma after class 10 are eligible to apply for B.Arch course.
- Most of the colleges also require candidates to clear architecture entrance exams such as JEE Main, JEE Advanced and NATA.
Specialization Courses for B.Arch
- Architectural Design
- Art and Design
- Building Information Modeling
- Building Technology
- Community Design
- Computer-Aided Design
- Graphic Design
Types of Job Roles Architect
There are a variety of architect job profiles that aspirants can target on the basis of their interest areas. Following are some of the job profiles for architects that one can opt for:
- Construction Manager-They are responsible for the planning, development and coordination of construction projects. They may be owners of a company or salaried contractors of a larger firm.
- Architectural Engineer-They plan a layout of building’s design, by applying knowledge of engineering forms, ventilation, lighting, structural systems and building codes.
- Architectural Managers-Architectural and engineering managers plan, direct, and coordinate activities in engineering and architectural companies.
- Civil Engineers-They design, conceive, build, operate, supervise, construct, and maintain infrastructure projects and systems in the public and private sector, including roads, airports, buildings, tunnels, bridges, dams etc.
- Construction Managers-Construction managers plan, supervise, fix the budget and coordinate construction projects from start to finish.
- Construction and Building Inspectors-They ensure that construction meets local and national building codes and ordinances, zoning regulations, and contract specifications.
- Industrial Designers-They consider the function, aesthetics, production costs, and usability of products when developing new product concepts. They develop the concepts for manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and toys.
- Landscape Architects-They design parks and the outdoor spaces of businesses, campuses, recreational facilities, private homes, and other open areas.
- Interior Designers-They estimate material requirements and costs, and present design to client for approval. They select or design, and purchase furnishings, art works, and accessories. They make interior spaces functional and beautiful by determining space requirements and selecting decorative items, such as colours, lighting, and materials.
- Employment Sector/Industry for Architect-There are a variety of employment opportunities for architects in the different sectors.
Some of the top sectors that require architects are mentioned below:
- Engineering firms
- Product Manufacturing
- Building safety
- Architectural Photography
Top Recruiting Companies for an Architect
Few of the leading recruiting companies for architecture where an architect can find employment opportunities are listed below:
- Architect Hafeez Contractor
- Kembhavi Architecture Foundation
- Shilpa Architects
- C.P. Kukreja Associates
- Manchanda Associates
- Oscar & Ponni Architects
- Architecture Brio
- VSA Space Design (P) Ltd.
- Chitra Vishwanath Architects
- Edifice Architects Pvt.Ltd
- Architect Consultants
- Larsen & Toubro
- Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj
- Sahara Group